Resting on the foothills of the North Georgia mountains, Acworth is known as “The Lake City” and is located just 35 miles north of Atlanta. The area now known as Acworth was first settled by the Cherokee Nation. In 1845, the Western and Atlantic Railroad began operation in Atlanta and began laying tracks towards Chattanooga. The first water stop north of Atlanta was Northcutt Station. A railroad engineer named Joseph Gregg later renamed the station after his home town of Acworth, New Hampshire. On December 1, 1860, the area in a half-mile radius surrounding Northcutt Station was incorporated into the City of Acworth.
Less than two years later, the Civil war reached Acworth when James Andrews and his crew stole “The General” and raced through the city in what would be known as “The Great Locomotive Chase.” Later during the war, General Sherman was headquartered in Acworth for several days. In November of 1864, many Acworth buildings were burned as a result of Sherman’s Atlanta Campaign.